Management Systems Certification Scheme (MSCS)
- Bureau of Indian Standards has been operating Management Systems Certification Scheme since 1991.
- Initially, BIS started the scheme with Quality Management System Certification (IS/ISO 9001) and over the years it has gradually expanded its activities to various other Management Systems.
- NABCB, QCI has accredited Quality Management System, Food Safety Management System and Environmental Management System Certification Schemes of BIS.
- The Management Systems Certification Department at HQS New Delhi is the policy making department which also coordinates the Systems Certification activities from the country in a uniform and impartial manner as per ISO/IEC 17021
- The Management Systems Certification activities is de-centralized to its five regional offices: the central region located in Delhi, the eastern region located in Kolkata, the northern region located in Chandigarh, the southern region located in Chennai and the western region located in Mumbai. The Deputy Director General (Region) is the granting, renewing and cancellation authority of the licence and this activity is coordinated by the Management Systems Certification Officer of the region.
Features of Management Systems Certification Scheme(FMSCS)
- BIS is the only organization in India which operates Management Systems Certification Scheme under an Act of Parliament.
- BIS is the National Standards Body (NSB) of India and represents the country in the international forum on standardization including International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
- Being member of ISO, BIS takes part in the deliberations of the Technical Committee such as ISO/TC 176 and ISO/TC 207 responsible for formulation of ISO 9000 series of standards and 14000 series.
- ISO is not operating any certification scheme. However, it has compiled a directory of certification bodies world over and as expected, the name of BIS is included in the directory.
- BIS has large resources of auditors & experts throughout the country leading to more economic operation of certifications scheme.
- BIS has a wide network of regional offices and branch offices for providing timely and efficient and economical service.
- BIS is a non-profit organization and hence certification services are very cost effective.
Last Updated on November 2, 2021